1. Tell us a little bit about your most recent Untour.
Our first week was a return to Venice, staying in the same apartment as on a prior Untour vacation so we knew beforehand where to shop, eat, pick up the vaparetto, and how to enjoy the special ambience and memorable sights of that ancient canal city. One plus for Venice is the pleasure of getting to and from the airport—a speedy motorboat all the way. Another plus is the vaporetto. With it and a little shoe leather you can go anywhere: from the opera at the new Fenice to the glass shops on Murano and back to the cafés of Piazza San Marco.
From Venice we took a comfortable train to Naples where we were met by a car and friendly driver for the trip to the Amalfi Coast. Our apartment was in Atrani and was truly delightful; quiet, nicely appointed, and with two terraces giving a 180° view of the Mediterranean. From Atrani we could walk to Amalfi where we could pick up the ferry to Capri for a day’s visit. From Atrani it was also just a short bus trip up the mountain to Ravello for a visit to Villa Rufolo with its formal garden overlooking the sea.
2. Why did you choose to go there?
Having visited Venice before, we wanted more time to experience things we had missed on the first trip. The Amalfitana was one of my favorite destinations when I lived in Rome and I wanted to show my wife what I had enjoyed before we met.
3. What is your favorite Untours memory?
There is something that made each Untour memorable from the old hill-towns of Tuscany to the Grand Canal of Venice to the beauty of the Amalfi coast. It’s impossible to pick a favorite.
4. How is taking an Untour different from other ways of travelling?
|Emerald—where they stayed in Amalfi|
It is carefree, with all the necessities provided but without the regimentation, tiresome bus rides and constant relocations of most tours. One has time to absorb some of the custom and ambience of a location.
5. If you could describe an Untour in just three words, what would they be?
You’re in control
6. Have you heard of our trailblazing Untours Foundation? What do you think of a company whose profits have gone to create jobs among vulnerable populations through loans to pioneering, green businesses?
A progressive and commendable compaany