If you are planning to visit Florence, we urge you to follow the paths of the Rennaissance artists who built and adorned this magnificent city. You’ll find a lifetime of art and architecture to experience. This is a list of the things you must see first, but please don’t stop here! You could spend a lifetime walking the stones of Florence.
1. The Bargello sculpture museum is a must. Read The Agony and the Ecstasy before you head to Florence, and you will love it even more.
2. Visit the Brancacci Chapel in Santa Maria Carmine to see the master frescoes of Masaccio. (Reservations required.)
3. The Uffizi Museum is one of the world’s most important and impressive art museums. Give yourself extra time to linger in the Botticelli room (Reservations suggested.)
4. Climb up into the Duomo for an upclose look at Brunelleschi’s masterpiece. Alo, the views from the belltower are another spectacle you shouldn’t miss.
5. San Lorenzo street market is a fun place to shop and the grand Mercato Centrale food hall is a gastronomical wonderland and local favorite for lunch.
6. The rooftop terrace on the 5th floor of Rinascente Department Store is a central stop for great views and an escape from the tourists.
7. Cross over into the Oltrarno district for local flavor, with a visit the the Pitti Palace museums, astroll through the cute boutiques, and drinks or a meal on the Piazza Santo Spirito.
8. The Galleria dell’Accademia is a must. Gawk at David and some of Michelanglo’s other creations! (Reservations suggested.)
9. For historic shopping, visit the old Farmacia di Santa Maria Novella and the jewelry shops along the Ponte Vecchio.
10. The Medici Chapel and the Church of San Lorenzo are important stops. See the resting place of the Medicis and more masterpiece works by Michelangelo.
We’ll see you soon in Florence!