Prague is one of my favorite cities in Europe. I love the history, the architecture, the beer halls and cobbled streets. It doesn’t get more charming than this. There are so many reasons to stay a week or more in Prague. Here is a list of sights and experiences you should not miss when you visit Prague.
1. Spend a day at Prague’s Castle, which does double duty as the residence of the Czech president and the city’s most popular tourist destination.
2. Walk across famous Charles Bridge, lined with 30 Baroque statues of religious figures. If you arrive at dawn, you’ll beat the crowds and enjoy a glorious view.
3. Attend one of the many classical music concerts, either in a church or concert hall.
4. See the impressive Astronomical Clock.
5. Explore Josefov, Prague’s historic Jewish Quarter and home to half a dozen synagogues and the Old Jewish Cemetery.
6. Take guided tour of the beautiful Municipal House and have a coffe and cake in its stunning art nouveau cafe.
7. Get away from the hustle and bustle of the city and take a tram to Vyšehrad Cemetery, resting place of many prominent Czechs, namely painter Alfons Mucha and composers Antonin Dvorak and Bedrich Smetana. Take a picnic lunch and enjoy the views of Prague.
8. Spend some time in a beer hall or beer garden like U Fleků or Letná Beer Garden.
9. Visit one of the many beautiful gardens, some of them UNESCO World Heritage sites. The Palace Gardens below Prague Castle are a good place to start. The Baroque Vrtba Garden is another favorite.
10. Travel back in time and wander through Prague’s magical Old Town with its cobble-stoned streets, historical monuments, churches and towers. Take a funicular up to Petrin Hill.
Have a great time in Prague!