The Switzerland - Heartland Untour
Reserve your Switzerland Untours vacation package now and look forward to hiking, mountain views, and breathtaking scenery. From the Alpine farming villages where you will make your home to mountain peaks and cosmopolitan cities, it's all yours in the Swiss Heartland.
Stay in a chalet apartment with warm hospitality and good access to buses and trains.
Day trip options: the towns of Bern, Thun, Brienz, Interlaken, Basel, Luzern, Zürich, Geneva, and Lausanne; the peaks of the Schilthorn, Jungfraujoch, Pilatus, Titlis, and many more!
Other Region Information
WHAT TO DO ON YOUR SWISS HEARTLAND VACATION
Day trips and sightseeing: Between charming towns, museums with world-class collections, gorgeous lakes, snow-capped mountains, hiking and good wine and food, you will wish you had booked a several-months' trip. There is so much to do in Switzerland that we list just a few of the many possibilities: There are the cultured cities of Bern, Thun, Brienz, Interlaken, Basel, Luzern, Zürich, Geneva, Lausanne, Montreux, St. Gallen, Locarno and Lugano. Switzerland has many lakes and rivers to visit: Lake Brienz, Lake Thun, Lake Luzern, Lake Geneva, Lake Zürich, Lake Zug, Lake Lugano, Lake Maggiore, Lake Biel, Lake Constance, the Aare River and the Rhine River. Alpine highs not to be missed: Schilthorn, Jungfraujoch, Schynige Platte, Pilatus, Titlis, Stanserhorn, Schönbüel, Brienzer Rothorn, Balmeregghorn, Planplatten.
Switzerland has some of the finest museums on the Continent including the Kunstmuseum in Bern, the Sammlung Rosengart, the Picasso Museum and the Verkehrshaus (Transportation Museum) in Luzern, the Kunstmuseum in Zürich, the Fondation Beyeler in Basel, the Ballenberg Open-Air Museum near Brienz, the Hergiswil Glass Factory, and the Olympic Museum in Lausanne. Castles in Spiez, Thun, Oberhofen, Gruyères, and Chateau de Chillon are great trips and you can often combine them with a famous rail journeys: Golden Pass Panoramic Express, Glacier Express, Bernina Express.
Off-the-beaten-track attractions that can’t be beat: Seeing and tasting Swiss cheese made on a family-operated farm in the Alps, listening to local musicians and yodlers at our farewell get-together, buying fresh bread at your local bakery, hearing a (free) symphony of cowbells as you stroll to your home-away-from-home after a dinner at a lakeside restaurant. buying fresh fruits, vegetables, flowers and cheese at the local open air market..
WHAT'S INCLUDED IN THIS UNTOUR?
The Switzerland - Heartland Untour Includes:
- One or two weeks in a private Swiss apartment or chalet, often with spectacular views of the lakes and mountains.
- Suggestions for booking your international flight from the U.S. to Zurich, or we can purchase tickets on your behalf. (Click for more information on Untours' air policies.)
- Transfer assistance for most arrivals at the Zurich airport, with detailed instructions that allow you to reach your village with ease.
- An 8 or 15-day Swiss Rail Pass valid on trains, buses, lake ships; free entry to over 400 museums in Switzerland.
- An orientation session given by our very experienced local staff covering rail and sightseeing.
- Local information and our Swiss Heartland Dream Book and Swiss Hiking Guide, both researched and written by Untours staff, chock-full of suggestions for scenic hiking trails and day trips.
- A local cultural activity, such as a visit to a high alpine valley to meet the locals at a Swiss festival, a city tour, or a visit to a traditional alpine cheese maker’s hut.
- A dinner party (selected dates only) in an authentic Swiss restaurant with new and old friends.
- Use of an Untours cell phone while on location.
- A stash of groceries upon your arrival, so you don’t need to shop right away.
- Pre-trip planning advice from our staff, available by phone or email right up until you leave.
- Ongoing support with our local representative. Help available when you need it.
- Special savings for kids 15 and under on this Untour in qualifying apartments. Call for details.
Here's what our customers say about how much there is to do in Swiss Heartland:"Having 2 wonderful weeks to relax (not just one) and plan our own activities. Admiring the many beautiful views and hiking were fabulous. A photographer's paradise. The feeling of stepping into another culture by living in the rural areas beats the larger towns handsdown. Just wish Untours would continue this path. Cities are OK for a day or so, but most are so crowded with tourists that it is impossible to get the real feel of the culture." Martha Buffington
"This is my first Untour and I loved the freedom to plan or not plan activities according to how we felt, what the weather was forecast to be, etc. We did a lot, but it was more relaxing than guided trips because of that freedom from strict scheduling. It was also more fun, because we were in charge!" Lila Black
"1) Beauty of the Heartland. 2) Our apartment--Paradiesli in Lungern. 3) Wonderful train-bus transport system and their understandable schedule--posted and in booklets." Shirley Thomson
"Our choice of Switzerland (which came hightly recommended from our friends), ease of travel once you "caught on," our most pleasant village, Sachseln with very good restaurants -- Cafe Zum Stein is fun & good -- best ice cream, etc. Also, that our daily schedule was our own." Ernest Schusky
"We loved it all. It far exceeded our expectations and imaginations. Loved getting to know other Untourists, the country, the scenery, the events, the staff, the transportation, the books, the staff and .......you get the idea." Doris M Roth
"Excellent help from Untours staff, well organized, love the flexibility of doing own day to day itinerary with the suggestions of the Untours staff. Great hosts. Very personable and go above and beyond expectations." Faye Fittery
"Absolutely enjoyed the whole experience! It was a once in a life-time trip for our family!" Paul Jay Fittery
"Friendliness of hosts and hostess, stunning scenery, the wide selection of comfortable residences, ease of travel (train)." Virginia Oakland
"We now have four more people who fell in love with Switzerland: our daughter & her family. And Untours helped make it that good an experience." Jay Tichenor
"Untours is the only way to travel to Europe!" Carol Seitz
"The Swiss Pass (1st Class), the beauty of Switzerland, our hosts in Elisabeth, the helpfulness of your staff." Edmond Gray
"The scenery, our hosts, the lakeboat rides; taking the bus from Meiringen to Schwartzwaldalp to Grosse Scheidegg to Grindelwald."
"We love: Switzerland, the trains, our home away from home, Sachseln, the Britschgis, and the independence of planning our daily adventures." Carol Seitz
"We loved our entire experience. Everything Untours did worked well. We were awed by Switzerland, very happy with our commuter friendly town of Meiringen, pleased with our apartment and have only good memories." Lee & Carol Talbot
"Thanks for helping us coordinate a multigenerational Untour for three families! The Heartland was perfect for this--activities to interest all 10 of us (ages 7 to 68), small-town atmosphere where the younger ones could visit each other and the playgrounds without constant supervision, new and different experiences for everybody." Phil & Jane King
"This was my first European experience and it was wonderful. I feel like I just scratched the surface of all that I could see and do in the Heartland, so I'd love to go again, and believe that the "Untour way" is the only way to go." Ronda Fiello
- 103 Bob and Bev at Schynige Platte 2
- The Steepest Cogwheel Train in the World, Pilatus
- The Hike up to Planplatten
- Quite the Garden
- 115 Schynige Platte from the Schilthorn
- 51 Aletsch Glacier
- 13 Alphorn group
- 91 Schynige Platte
- 70 Planplatten-Ballmeregghorn
- 46 Grandmothers Walk
- Pilatus Gondola Station
- 18 Decorated cows
- The Covered Bridge in Lucerne
- Enjoying the Boatride on Lake Brienz
- Schwingfest at Melchsee Frutt above Sarnen
LAST MINUTE DEALS!
Traveling in the next month or two? Check for discounts!
KIDS SAVE BIG!
Families get big savings in Switzerland.
Fresh from the blog:
Swiss Untour alumni tell all
Coordinator - Cruises
I've been at Untours for over 20 years now, and travelling to Switzerland for over 30 years. Switzerland is my home away from home.
Read more about Francy.