The Switzerland - Oberland Untour
Reserve your Untours Switzerland vacation rental package and get set for an unforgettable trip that will thrill you with mountain vistas and beautiful lake scenery. Quick access to cultured cities, easy hikes through meadows filled with wildflowers and nearby lifts to stunning Alpine peaks make this part of Switzerland hard to beat.
Other Region Information
WHAT TO DO ON YOUR SWITZERLAND OBERLAND VACATIONDay trips and sightseeing: Between charming towns, museums with world-class collections, gorgeous lakes, snow-capped mountains, hiking and good wine and food, you will wish you had booked a several-months' trip. There is so much to do in Switzerland that we list just a few of the many possibilities: There are the cultured cities of Bern, Thun, Brienz, Interlaken, Murten, Burgdorf, Fribourg, Basel, Luzern, Zürich, Geneva, Lausanne, Montreux, St. Gallen, Locarno and Lugano. Switzerland has many lakes and rivers to visit: Lake Brienz, Lake Thun, Lake Luzern, Lake Geneva, Lake Zürich, Lake Zug, Lake Lugano, Lake Maggiore, Lake Biel, Lake Constance, the Aare River and the Rhine River. Alpine highs not to be missed: Schilthorn, Jungfraujoch, Schynige Platte, Pilatus, Niesen, Stanserhorn, Schönbüel, Brienzer Rothorn, Balmeregghorn, Planplatten.
Switzerland has some of the finest museums on the Continent including the Kunstmuseum in Bern, the Sammlung Rosengart, the Picasso Museum and the Verkehrshaus (Transportation Museum) in Luzern, the Kunstmuseum in Zürich, the Fondation Beyeler in Basel, the Ballenberg Open-Air Museum near Brienz, the Hergiswil Glass Factory, and the Olympic Museum in Lausanne. Castles in Spiez, Thun, Oberhofen, Gruyères, and Chateau de Chillon are great trips and you can often combine them with a famous rail journey: Golden Pass Panoramic Express, Glacier Express, Bernina Express.
Off-the-beaten-track attractions that can’t be beat: Seeing and tasting Swiss cheese made on a family-operated farm in the Alps, listening to local musicians and yodlers at our farewell get-together, buying fresh bread at your local bakery, hearing a (free) symphony of cowbells as you stroll to your home-away-from-home after a dinner at a lakeside restaurant, buying fresh fruits, vegetables, flowers and cheese at the local open air market.
WHAT'S INCLUDED IN THIS UNTOUR?
The Switzerland - Oberland Untour Includes:
- One or two weeks in a private apartment or chalet, each with a fully equipped kitchen, often with spectacular views of the lakes and the mountains.
- Suggestions for booking your international flight from the U.S. to Zurich, Switzerland, or we can purchase tickets on your behalf. (More information on Untours' air policies here.)
- An 8 or 15-day Swiss Saver Rail Pass valid on trains, buses, lake ships; free entry to over 400 museums in Switzerland.
- Lots of pre-planning advice from our US staff who have not only seen the apartments but also stayed in them.
- Our staff will meet most flights and escort you to your new home or offer transfer assistance at the Zurich airport with detailed instructions that allow you to reach your Swiss village independently with ease.
- An orientation will be given the following day by our expert English-speaking staff, many of whom have been welcoming Untourists to their country for over 25 years.
- A Swiss Dream Book and Hiking Guide - publications researched and written by Untours staff, chock-full of suggestions for scenic hiking trails and day trips.
- An Untours-sponsored group activity such as a visit to a high alpine valley to meet the locals at “their” typical Swiss festival, City tour or a visit to an alpine cheese maker’s hut where cheese is still made the traditional way without any mechanization.
- A dinner party (selected dates) in an authentic Swiss restaurant with new and old friends.
- Welcome supplies of bread, milk, cheese, eggs so you don’t have to look for a grocery store right away.
- On-site support services and emergency contact when you need it.
- Special savings for kids 15 and under on this Untour in qualifying apartments (please call for details).
Here's what our customers say about how much there is to do in Switzerland Oberland:"This is the best European trip we've ever had, and we thought we'd had some great ones. We can't say enough good things about the Untours staff and the Swiss Pass. We were able to hike, meet locals, go to cities, see great art. It was a well-rounded experience." Olivia Rowell
"Everything was very well organized. I enjoy traveling on my own and I felt that Untours provided just the right amount of assistance." Sue Hays
"Being able on a mornings notice to plan an outing. Hiking in Switzerland is second to no other area! Kandersteg is a GREAT location." Glenn Ray Bushyager
"I loved having time to really explore the country. Untours let us experience many sides of Switzerland. We explored cities - large and small. Experienced the breathtaking beauty of the Jungfrajoch on a glorious day! Hiked along the wanderwegs. Loved it all." Libby Brown
"The scenery and the Swiss rail pass....one of the most beautiful countries we've ever visited." Judith Vielbig
"Switzerland is the most unspoiled and clean country we've visited....we thought that dinners at restaurants were slightly less expensive than the year before. We love all the benches on the trails to rest and look. We discovered that flat trails to the Swiss mean 30%! We tried to keep to the yellow Wanderweg but occasionally got on a steeper one....but did fine....next time we use walking sticks!" Ellie Hagner
"As with the past 2 Untours this one was wonderful. Frutigen really appealed to us as we felt as if we really were a part of this small town. The locals were very friendly (we were even invited to come to the annual "Grass Cutting Contest" awards in the Market Hall one night. That was an experience)! We especially enjoyed the trip to Riederalp with Marietta---she is very sweet and knowledgeable. The Farewell dinner was great! What a view we had from the restaurant and the entertainment was most enjoyable (even Urs' guitar playing and singing)! All in all, we had a wonderful 2 weeks!" Don & Vicky Goodin
"The area was perfect for us. We could get to the other areas of Switzerland that we wanted to visit so easily. Kenneth & Carolyn Perley
"I cannot imagine a more spectacular area than the Berner Oberland. When we booked the trip, I had fears that we might get restless being in the same place for two weeks, especially for the kids, but we ended up not having nearly enough time to do everything we wanted to do...so many more hikes and places to see! Do places actually exist that are as stunningly beautiful, filled with gorgeous mountain peaks, serene valleys, charming villages, and such welcoming and pleasant people? I cannot imagine a better place, and I cannot imagine a better company with which to get there than Untours." Susan & John Miller
"My five grandsons were on this trip, and one turned nine on July 10th. He was greeted on that morning with a chocolate cake complete with candles and gifts from Peter and Ester, the host family, and also gifts from a neighbor of theirs, Betty. The afternoon was spent exploring Thun and Spiez castles. How many nine-year-olds have such an extraordinary celebration? This truly was a 'whole international village' raising a child! A memory to treasure always about the kindness of humanity." Shelley Richardson
"We took our girls (ages 7 and 9) and they had a marvellous time. What a pleasant surprise to find wonderful playgrounds just about everywhere (even at the top of gondola rides). This is a trip for the kids and parents alike. We were also pleased to find that the kids were free with our Swiss Pas
- KIDS SAVE BIG! Families get big savings in Switzerland. Click here for details.
I've been at Untours for over 20 years now, and travelling to Switzerland for over 30 years. Switzerland is my home away from home.
Read more about Francy.