The Italy - Rome Untour
The Eternal City awaits, with its layers of history. Discover its myriad fountains and palaces, its massive monuments and intimate neighborhood piazzas. Find your passion in its grandiose museums and cathedrals. See some of humankind’s biggest triumphs of creation, or explore Rome’s cobbled backstreets, art galleries, and quirky food markets.
Rent an apartment in the city’s vibrant center.
Sights to see: St. Peter’s & the Vatican Museum, the Colosseum and Forum, Piazza Navona, the Trevi Fountain, Spanish Steps, and countless others!
Other Region Information
WHAT TO DO ON YOUR ROME VACATIONSightseeing: Ancient Roman sites include the Coloseum, Trajan’s Market, the Palatine Hill, the Imperial Forum, the Pantheon, Nero’s Palace and the Appian Way. Visit Vatican City to tour St. Peter’s Basilica, schedule an audience with the Pope, tour the incredible holdings of the Vatican Museums, including the Raphael rooms and the dazzling Sistine Chapel with Michelangelo’s most famous frescoes. The city’s other major basilicas also beckon: St. Paul’s, Santa Maria Maggiore and San Giovanni in Laterano; nearby, pilgrims climb the Sacred Steps, said to be the ones Christ climbed. Around town, churches range from Medieval to Baroque, an incredible collection of sacred art and architecture. Explore the endless museums, from the Capitoline Museums to the Villa Borghese, the Vatican Museums to the Castel Sant’Angelo. Stroll through some of Rome’s most famous squares and linger before its beautiful fountains: The Trevi Fountain, the Spanish Steps, Piazza Navona, the Piazza del Popolo to name just a few. Day trips: Just outside the city you can visit the Catacombes. On easy daytrips you can explore the Ancient Roman port town of Ostia Antica or visit old Ancient Roman villa in lovely Tivoli. Relax on the beach in Lido di Ostia. Or take more ambitious excursions to Naples and Pompeii!
Off-the beaten track treasures that can’t be beat: Linger over a cappuccino or window shop in the charming old Trastevere. Explore the historic Jewish ghetto. Stroll along the Tiber River or among the Umbrella pines of the ancient Aventino Park grounds. Picnic in the Borghese Gardens. Smaller museums showcase Etruscan and Roman artifacts, modern art, Roman history and the art of specific eras. Shop for produce at the morning market in Campo dei Fiori.
WHAT'S INCLUDED IN THIS UNTOUR?
The Italy - Rome Untour Includes:
- One or two weeks in a personally selected, centrally located apartment.
- Suggestions for booking your international flight from the U.S. to Rome, or we can purchase tickets on your behalf. (Click for more information on Untours' air policies.)
- Transfer by private driver from the Rome airport (or rail station) to your new Untours home, and transport back to the airport or rail station on your departure.
- A transit pass good for unlimited rides on Rome’s extensive system of buses, trams, and metro.
- An orientation with our on-site staff. This will cover using the public transit system and practical advice for sightseeing, tours, and reservations.
- Local maps and literature, plus our own Untouring Rome guidebook, researched and written by Untours staff, full of the best restaurants, sights, and other suggestions.
- A local cultural activity, such as a tour of a historical site like the Castel Sant'Angelo.
- Use of an Untours cell phone while on location.
- A stash of groceries upon your arrival, so you don’t need to dash off to shop right away.
- Pre-trip planning advice from our staff, available by phone or email right up until you leave.
- Ongoing support with our local representative. Help available when you need it.
Here's what our customers say about how much there is to do in Rome:"We loved Rome. We enjoyed some of the recommended restaurants. We liked the location of the apartment (especially all the little shops on our street) and Nicolo was very accommodating. All in all, it was a wonderful trip... We will definitely do more Untours trips." Mary Lynn Ferry
"We liked having Untours get us a nice apartment, drive us to and from the airport, have a local contact we could rely on, getting us to the Vatican Museum and Sistine Chapel, good ground transportation and having a well-stocked apartment waiting for us.” William & Marilyn Dudrow
- Roman Forum
- Bridge Over the Tiber-Rome
- St Peter's Square, Vatican City
- Roman Forum
- Victor Emmanuel Monument-Rome
- Fountain on Via Giulia
- Street View from the Giulia-Rome
- Ostia Antica Theater
- Castle St Angelo
- Castel Sant'Angelo
- Inside the Vatican
- Victor Emmanuel Monument from Other Side-Rome
- 249 Roma
- Italy 2006077
Find your perfect Rome tour and your perfect vacation rental, in one package - on one of our unforgettable Rome Untours!