Paris Untour, Fall of 2001
by Ann and Bill Logan, Shelbyville, KY
We followed our Untour to Alsace with another Untour in Paris September 12 till September 26, 2001. This was our 3rd visit in Paris. Our apartment was in the Rue de Martyrs and from the street we could see Sacre Couer and walk to Montmarte. We thought the location was wonderful and the apartment was charming. There was heat available whenever we needed it and, since the weather this year was cool and rainy, we used it several times. The apt. is in a building off the street on a courtyard where a few tenants park their cars so is very quiet. Within walking distance there were groceries, a wine shop , bakeries, restaurants and a newspaper kiosk, with U S A Today and the Herald Tribune, which was important to us since we arrived in Paris the day after the World Trade Center attack and we didn't have T V. The Metro system is great and only about 3 blocks from the apt.We used it extensively because the weather was so iffy.
Some of the things we particularly enjoyed:
- Walking the Champs Elysee from the Arc de Triumph to the Louvre.
- The Napoleon rooms at the Louvre.
- Chartiers Restaurant.
- The Pompidou Center.
- Jardin des Plantes.
- The Museum Jacque Mart-Andre(house and contents)
- Outside Paris by train, the Vaux le Vicompe.
- Musee D'Orsay for the 3rd time.
- Walking tour of Montmarte with "Paris Walks".
- Idyll dinner at La Marais Sainte Catherine. Excellent!
- Trumilou Restaurant.