The Italy - Umbria Untour
Discover "Italy’s Green Heart," where Italian traditions flourish in the idyllic farmlands and rustic wooded hills. Experience warm hospitality in Umbria’s ancient cobbled towns, and strike out onto the backroads, where each bend offers a soaring view and every trattoria a memorable local meal.
Stay in a farmhouse on a working farm in the olive groves outside of Spoleto and Spello.
Day trip options: Assisi, Perugia, Gubbio, Todi, Spello, Spoleto, Deruta, Torgiano, Cortona, Rome, and many more!
WHAT TO DO ON YOUR UMBRIA VACATIONDay trips: Spoleto, and the delightful hill towns of Todi, Trevi, Gubbio, Montefalco and Amelia are all nearby. In addition, there’s Bevagna, Orvieto, Assisi, Perugia and Cortona. Longer day trips to Rome (2.5 to 3 hours), Florence (3.5 hours) and Siena (2.5 hours) are also possible.
Sightseeing: Our “hometown” of Spoleto offers a Roman theater and the famous Duomo (cathedral) as well as many worthwhile churches and castles. The world-famous Spoleto Performing Arts Festival takes place each July. The Basilica of San Fransesco, now completely restored, is one of the highlights of the elegant and intimate nearby city of Assisi. Don’t miss the Duomo at Orvieto or the chocolates at Perugia!
Off-the-beaten-track treasures that can’t be beat: Visit the Cascate delle Marmore (one of Europe’s most popular waterfalls), the pottery towns of Deruta and Gubbio. Walk the city walls of Spello or visit Torgiano, the town where Rubesco wine was born.
WHAT'S INCLUDED IN THIS UNTOUR?
The Italy - Umbria Untour Includes:
- One or two weeks in a farmhouse apartment, often on a working farm with stunning countryside views.
- Suggestions for booking your international flight from the U.S. to Rome, or we can purchase tickets on your behalf. (Click for more information on Untours' air policies.)
- Airport meeting upon your arrival (set arrival time only) and assistance with your rental car pick-up and transfer to your apartment. (Or detailed instructions that allow you to reach your apartment independently with ease.)
- Car rental, with unlimited mileage and basic insurance, for the duration of your Untour.
- An orientation with our local staff person, who is full of excellent recommendations for your sight seeing, practical advice on driving and parking, and a listing of local events happening during your stay.
- A comprehensive driving map, local information, plus our own Untouring Umbria guidebook, researched and written by Untours staff, full of the best restaurants, sightseeing, and other suggestions.
- A local cultural activity, like a tour of a local, organic farmstead, including a home cooked meal with the owners.
- Use of an Untours cell phone while on location.
- A stash of groceries upon your arrival, so you don’t need to shop right away.
- Pre-trip planning advice from our staff, available by phone or email right up until you leave.
- Ongoing support with our local representative. Help available when you need it.
Here's what our customers say about how much there is to do in Umbria:"We loved everything about Umbria: the people, the food, the wine, the weather, the La Ginestra apartment and the farm on which it was situated." Ron Redman
"This was our fourth Untour and the best! The apartment, Il Girasole, was beautiful and the staff went out of their way to accommodate us. Jo-Anne Rowe is by far the most available and interactive on-site staff person we have ever worked with." Mike & Teri Chaves
"We loved everything about Umbria! It was nice to be in a location with other Untourists as it gave us social opportunities in the evening. Umbria has many special discoveries like the Piano Grande with its wildflowers." Marcy & Steve Halsted
"Umbria was a great introduction to Italy. The towns were small and accessible and everyone was friendly." Melinda Fraiser
"The hill towns were lots of fun and they have marvelous restaurants. The people are very friendly and helpful." Joan Day
"The food everywhere in Umbria was wonderful. Our favorite towns were Trevi where we had cappuccino in the square every morning and wonderful streets to wander, Spello with its flowers on every doorstep and in every window, Bevagna and Gubbio which had colorful banners hanging everywhere as well as beautiful flowers." Barbara and John Natale
"It was the best tour I've been on and I've been on many." Ron Henricksen
"The scenery was gorgeous and the towns within driving distance were unique and typified Roman history, as did our apartment which we loved. It all allowed us to truly experience Italy." Roy E. Anthony
"Our Umbrian experience met and exceeded our expectations in every way! The location within the region gave easy access to major roads and sites of interest were easily reached." Frank & Donna Symour
Find your perfect Umbria tour and your perfect vacation rental, in one package - on one of our unforgettable Umbria Untours!