Welcome the homebase of our new Scottish Highlands Untour. Inverness is a walkable town in the heart of the Highlands with good international restaurants, cozy pubs, and live music.
“It is a perfect departure point for exploring the Scottish Highlands,” says Untours President Brian Taussig-Lux. “But what I love about Inverness is that you can walk into tranquil green spaces without leaving town.”
While the Isle of Skye and the Malt Whisky Trail are within day trip distance, here are 10 things to check out in and around Inverness.
- Visit Fort George and the Highlanders’ Museum. The mighty 18th century fortress is one of the biggest in the UK. Stroll the grounds, explore the military garrison buildings, and take in the museum’s impressive collection of weaponry.
- Enjoy some trad music in one of Inverness’s homey pubs. This area is a hotbed of traditional music, with regular performances and sessions where locals drop in with the instruments to play.
- See an 88-foot model of the Titanic at Ship Space, a maritime museum with fun interactive exhibits and a nice canal-side location.
- The Inverness Museum and Art Gallery offers a nice glimpse into regional art. Or check out some of the sweet art galleries in town..
- St. Andrew’s Cathedral and the Inverness Castle are both part of the historic fabric of the city center. The church is worth a visit. And the Inverness Castle Viewpoint offers visitors a 360-degree view of town and its dramatic surroundings. Don’t miss it!
- Cross the River Ness and into the peaceful Ness Islands, a green park set apart from the city. Inverness is bike friendly, so consider renting a bicycle and pedaling around the area!
- See the Clava Cairns, an impressive archeological site to the east of town. The Bronze Age circular chamber tomb is one of the best in the area.
- Stroll the Inverness Botanic Gardens for some cultivated green. On a cool, overcast day its tropical house will warm you!
- Explore Culloden Battlefield, where the last battle of the Jacobite Rising was fought. The interactive exhibits and visitor center help bring its history to life.
- Set out to nearby Loch Ness, where you can cruise the lake looking for Nessie. And don’t miss the beautiful ruins of Urquhart Castle.
And there is so much to see in the areas all around! Our Scottish Highlands Untour launches in fall of 2017. SIgn up here for updates or call for details